Friday, August 20, 2010

archeological digs

Archeological Digs

The flea market business has really changed. People are not shopping the way they used to.
Granny carts and backpacks and dollies were the tools of choice back in the day. Not so much today. The desktop, laptop and mobile phone are now the favorite shopping accessories in our fast paced world and belt-tightened economy.

At last Sunday's flea market I talked with several other vendors.....the story was all the same.
One vendor who specializes in high-end la-di-da decorator items said that this had been the all time worst she had ever done. Three years ago she could take home two to three thousand dollars after a "decent" show. Sunday she had only sold about two hundred. People are not paying antique store prices at a parking lot flea market!

So....what are people buying? Cheap little crap!!! She went on to tell the tale of her flea market neighbor who normally brought great stuff and this time brought boxes of cheap little crap!!!
Everything this neighbor sold was between one dollar and five dollars. Are you ready??? He sold $1500 of cheap little crap!!!

So tomorrow I am doing an archeological dig, (this is a sociological experiment) and finding insignificant little stuff that I have not deemed flea-market worthy in the past, slapping a price tag on it, filling up boxes, unloading the great stuff from my car and reloading it with.....CHEAP LITTLE CRAP!!

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE cheap little crap...I buy it all the time. Then why is it that I never take it to the sale? PRIDE!! yep, you got it....everything has to be special and pretty and displayed as though it were a store. This weekend I am going to change my tactics. Yes, I will have a display of some of my "altered art", but will use it more as a tool to give people ideas about what to do with the _________!! Let you know how it goes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

everything has changed. it always does.
yes- turn that trash into treasure, immediately!