Saturday, January 11, 2014

Bartering: How to live beyond your means at minimum or no output of cash.

Bartering is a wonderful thing. In olden times that is how things were done in small villages. Farmers would trade their precious crops for other commodities and services which tradesmen, artisans and people of diverse occupations were more than willing to exchange for their offerings. I have been bartering my flowers, cooking skills and decorating abilities for most of my adult life. It allows me to have luxuries and necessities which I could not otherwise afford, being a self employed person with no guaranteed paycheck. I have bartered my flowers for hairdressing, manicures, facials, veterinary services,and handyman jobs. I barter with my auto mechanic and have bartered with an electrician, a moving company and a doctor. I get wonderful massages every other week through my chiropractor's office and have even traded top grade meat from the butcher shop. No money changes hands. Services for services and life is good. Quite often when selling at the flea market I will trade fun stuff with my fellow vendors. It is not unusual to work hard all day with pathetic sales and you just feel that you deserve a treat, but cannot spend any money. We will all wander around to each other's booths and browse the goodies. It is always a thrill to walk away with a bag full of loot and all you have done is to let them walk away with a bag full of your previous treasures. If you have never bartered, you should try it! It is very satisfying to use your abilities as tender. If you are new to this, you may find it a bit daunting, but it gets easier and easier. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Think about your skills and what you have to offer. Don't be afraid to approach somone with a mutually advantageous proposition. The worst thing that can happen is that they will say no and you can just shrug it off and try someplace else. I have been turned down, and it's ok...I understand that bartering is not for everyone. But Hell, it sure works for me!!

No comments: